09 May, 2010

Night and Day - Frank Sinatra

Ahhh, it's good to be home. I was away in BFE, aka a small mountain town in Kern County, California this weekend visiting The Mother. Since I was playing dutiful and loving daughter this weekend, it suited that whilst driving her to and fro, we would listen to some music in the car that The Mother would enjoy. Since her favorite singer is Bing Crosby, I figured Korn wasn't going to do the job. Alas, I have no Bing Crosby CDs (I really need to get one, his voice was so freaking good - and I'm being serious), so we made do with Frankie.

As I mentioned, Mom loves Bing Crosby. During her youth (she's 77 now), Bing and Frankie were arch rivals. Young women generally either fainted over one or the other but not necessarily both. Obviously, my mom preferred crooning pipe smokers over skinny mob men. As such, her favoritism was passed along to me and for many years, I would look upon Frankie with disdain and worship Bing's effortless natual talent.

Many years later, I happened upon a little film called Dream for an Insomniac. Frankie plays a minor role in the mythos of the coffee shop where the main characters work. One scene has them all listening, and naturally dancing, to Night and Day.



This is such a great song. Cole Porter sure knew how to write 'em.

Night and day
Why is it so?
That this longing for you follows wherever I go
In the roarin' traffic's boom
In the silence of my lonely room
I think of you
Day and night

It so perfectly captures obsession and longing. And, between you and me, it appeals to my inner romantic that I've managed to bury under copious layers of cynicism and derision.

No comments:

Post a Comment