11 May, 2010

Nobody Knows Me - Lyle Lovett

Poor Lyle. Most of the world knows him as "that ugly guy" who Julia Roberts married. Personally, I always understood why she married him. Any man who could sing like that and write such great songs would be a total catch. In my opinion, she was the lucky one.



And I like cream in my coffee
And I like to sleep late on Sunday
And nobody knows me like my baby
And I like eggs over easy
With flour tortillas
And nobody knows me like my baby

To me, this is a love song. Love isn't solely about hearts and flowers and all that shit. It's about not complaining while taking care of the person you love when they're sick, giving them a ride when their car's broken down, bailing them out of jail while saving the criticism for later. It's about working at it while dealing with real life and compromising and accepting the person as they are, faults and all. The airy fairy stuff is nice but it's gravy, it's not the meat and potatoes.

Love is knowing that your sweetie takes cream in their coffee and that you get their coffee for them that way without having to be asked. It's in the little things as well as the big things.

No comments:

Post a Comment